Target: Differentiate amongst the organisms found in biodiversity lab traps. Recognize basic Michigan organisms.
How: Research the following.
Assignment: Answer the following questions using a web browser.
- Make a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast moths and butterflies. (wing folding, activity)
- Make a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast dragonflies and damselflies. (how to tell them apart)
- Distinguish between a pill bug and a sow bug, in relation to rolling into a ball.
- Distinguish between a centipede and a millipede. (examples and how to tell them apart)
- Distinguish between an insect and an arachnid. (examples and how to tell them apart)
- Describe or draw an earwig. Describe the function of any anatomical part.
- Describe or draw 3 types of spiders from the Michigan area.
- Draw an ant lion funnel trap and describe how the ant lion captures it’s food. Have you ever seen an ant lion trap?
- Make a Venn Diagram of a frog and toad. (how to tell them apart, life cycle differences, example)
- Draw the cicada and its underground home. How does a cicada make noise? Why does it make noise?
- Make a Venn Diagram of a cricket and grasshopper.
- What type of tick causes Lyme Disease? (Michigan Lyme Disease Association) How does the tick that causes lyme disease appear compared to the common dog tick? What is the proper way to remove a tick?
- Compare and contrast bees, wasps, and hornets. (nests, stinging differences, and how to tell them apart)